Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Camouflage part 3

Saturday we have a Camouflage Party at T.R.A.C.S.
This is the third article with reference to the theme.

As most of you know, the last year, I do try to find a song that fits in the theme.
There were a few options.

Stan Ridgway, with the song "Camouflage".
Stanard 'Stan' Ridgway (born April 5, 1954) is an American multi-instrumentalist singer-songwriter known for his distinctive voice, dramatic lyrical narratives, and eclectic solo albums and was the original lead singer of the band Wall of Voodoo.
The song "Camouflage," a tale about a Marine in Vietnam whose life is saved by the ghost of another Marine called Camouflage.


The other option was:
"Karma Chameleon" a song by British New Wave band Culture Club, featured on the group's 1983 album Colour by Numbers.
In an interview, Culture Club frontman Boy George explained: "The song is about the terrible fear of alienation that people have, the fear of standing up for one thing. It's about trying to suck up to everybody. Basically, if you aren't true, if you don't act like you feel, then you get Karma-justice, that's nature's way of paying you back."

But searching the internet I did walk against this video.
It is not about camouflage. The name camouflage is not even mention in the lyrics.

 "Somebody That I Used to Know" is a song written and recorded by Belgian-Australian singer and songwriter Gotye, featuring New Zealand singer/guitarist Kimbra. The song was released in Australia and New Zealand by Eleven Music on 5 July 2011 as the second single from his third studio album, Making Mirrors (2011). It was later released by Universal Music in December 2011 in the United Kingdom, and in January 2012 in the United States. "Somebody That I Used to Know" was written and recorded by Gotye at his parent's house on the Mornington Peninsula in Victoria and is lyrically related to the experiences he has had with relationships.

Wouter "Wally" De Backer (born 21 May 1980), also known professionally by his stage name Gotye, is a Belgian-Australian multi-instrumental musician and singer-songwriter. The name "Gotye" is derived from "Gauthier", the French equivalent of "Walter" or "Wouter". His voice has been compared to those of Peter Gabriel, Phil Collins, and Sting.

Music video
Gotye and Kimbra sing while painted to blend with the background.
The music video for "Somebody That I Used to Know", which was directed and produced by Natasha Pincus, shows both Gotye and Kimbra naked throughout the clip, and as they sing, his skin is gradually painted into the backdrop via stop motion animation. The painting used in the video's background is based on a 1980s artwork created by Gotye's father, Frank de Backer, who also designed the cover art for the related album, Making Mirrors. Emma Hack, an Australian artist and skin illustrator based in Adelaide, was hired by Pincus to work on the body paintings for Gotye and Kimbra, and also worked with Gotye to design the backdrop. According to Hack, it took more than 23 hours to paint both Gotye and Kimbra to fit with the background. Their painting symbolises their combined relationship.
As of July 2012, the video has over 280 million views on YouTube. The video was nominated for Video of the Year and Best Editing in a Video at the 2012 MTV Video Music Awards.


Somebody That I Used To Know

 Now and then I think of when we were together
 Like when you said you felt so happy you could die
 Told myself that you were right for me
 But felt so lonely in your company
 But that was love and it's an ache I still remember

You can get addicted to a certain kind of sadness
 Like resignation to the end
 Always the end
 So when we found that we could not make sense
 Well you said that we would still be friends
 But I'll admit that I was glad that it was over

But you didn't have to cut me off
 Make out like it never happened
 And that we were nothing
 And I don't even need your love
 But you treat me like a stranger
 And that feels so rough
 You didn't have to stoop so low
 Have your friends collect your records
 And then change your number
 I guess that I don't need that though
 Now you're just somebody that I used to know (3x)

Now and then I think of all the times you screwed me over
 But had me believing it was always something that I'd done
 And I don't wanna live that way
 Reading into every word you say
 You said that you could let it go
 And I wouldn't catch you hung up on somebody that you used to know...

But you didn't have to cut me off
 Make out like it never happened
 And that we were nothing
 And I don't even need your love
 But you treat me like a stranger
 And that feels so rough
 No you didn't have to stoop so low
 Have your friends collect your records
 And then change your number
 I guess that I don't need that though
 Now you're just somebody that I used to know

Somebody! (I used to know)
 Somebody! (Now your just somebody) That I used to know
 Somebody! (I used to know)
 Somebody! Now your just somebody that I used to know

(I used to know)
 (That I used to know)
 (I used to know)

Somebodyyyyy
----------------------------------                 

There are many parodies made of the song and next I like most.
When your favorite song becomes so popular that it becomes everyone else’s favorite song, it’s usually no longer yours. It’s a fairly common occurrence in pop culture. Songs become huge, and it’s onto the next one. This situation can definitely be applied to Gotye‘s massive ‘Somebody That I Used to Know.’  Rather than just kick the song to the curb, Smooth-E created this parody seen below, ‘Some Music That I Used to Love,’ which documents how he tries to break up with the song.
In the video, Smooth-E is a reformed Gotye fan sick of the covers and parodies and thinks it’s “the most overplayed song ever,” but not before sharing how he became addicted to the song, painted his crib like the video and even got Gotye’s visage tattooed on his back.

What was the point of no return for him? When the song was played at his cousin’s bar mitzvah and became his grandmother’s ringtone. So now it’s just some music that he used to love.
Written by: Amy Sciarretto

No comments: